Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘ottawa’

“Aylmer Man Is Arrested After Lengthy Search,” Ottawa Citizen. October 26, 1938. Page 01 & 04.

Rene Longpre, 24, Who Brutally Attacked Guard, Is Taken in Clarence Street Rooming House.

Dyeing of Hair Fails To Fool Police Officer

Accused Is Turned Over to Quebec Authorities After Capture by Detective Sabourin.

A three-month search for Rene Longpre, 24-year-old Aylmer resident, who escaped from the Aylmer jail after brutally attacking a guard, ended shortly before noon today when the long-wanted youth was taken into custody in a Clarence street rooming house by Detective Ernest Sabourin, of the Ottawa police.

Pauline Huneault, 19, of 50 Rouville street, Hull, who was arrested about an hour after Longpre, admitted to Chief Decosse of the Hull Police that she was an accomplice of Longpre when the home of Mr. and Mrs. Redmond D. Macdonald at Aylmer was robbed on October 16th and the inmates assaulted.

The girl told the police that she and Longpre went to Aylmer on the bus early in the evening and hid in the bushes near the Macdonald home until about 11.30 p.m. They they entered and, being surprised by Mrs. Macdonald, attacked her.

The sum of $55 and a gold watch was stolen from the Macdonald home. The watch was located in the Ottawa Lower Town rooming house in which Longpre and Miss Huneault were found.

Chief Decosse said other arrests may be made.

Hair Was Dyed
When arrested, Longpre was found to have dyed his hair and to have grown a moustache. He had also been wearing glasses. The disguise did not fool the Ottawa detective. Going under the name of Lucien Raymond, Longpre at first denied he was the wanted man, and put up quite an argument. He did not resist arrest otherwise. Detective Sabourin took him to the police station and booked him on a charge of vagrancy. Longpre was turned over this afternoon to Chief Eugene Decosse of the Quebec provincial police in Hull, and Chief Delbert Dumoulin, of the Aylmer police.

Assault on Jail Guard
The Aylmer youth who had been originally arrested by Chief Dumoulin for the Ontario provincial police for cattle rustling in Carleton county, escaped from the Aylmer jail on July 21, shortly after his arrest. He made his getaway after beating the guard. Fred Leon, 35, of Aylmer, over the head and face with a soft drink bottle. Leon had both jaws fractured. Longpre disappeared in the woods alongside the Ottawa river and eluded a posse which searched the whole district for weeks.

Searched Rooming House
It was learned today that Longpre came to Ottawa early in August and had stayed in various Lower Town rooming houses since that time. Information was received by police that the wanted youth was hanging around the city and several rooming houses were searched without success. 

At 11.30 o’clock this morning, Detective Sabourin walked into a Clarence street rooming house and found Longpre in bed.

Longpre will be arraigned tomorrow morning on the jailbreaking and assault charges. A week’s remand likely will be asked by police.

Read Full Post »

“Two Weeks In Jail on Assault Charge,” Ottawa Citizen. October 26, 1938. Page 04.

Anthony Menchini, 502 Rochester street, was sentenced by Magistrate Strike to two weeks in jail for assaulting Francis Taylor, 69 Second Avenue.

On the night of October 15th, Taylor, his brother-in-law, Walter Rockburn, 64 Adeline Street, and three women relatives, were on Preston street near Norman laughing and talking among themselves. For the prosecution it was alleged that Menchini and his friend, Albert Carmanico, 438 1-2 Preston street, approached them and resented the laughing which they thought was at them. Rockburn and Carmanico wrestled and for the prosecution it was testified that Menchini hit Rockburn while Carmanico held him and that then Menchini struck Taylor who protested against the assault on Rockburn. The evidence was that Taylor was knocked down by the first blow and that as he tried to get to his feet Menchini struck him again, knocking him unconscious and fracturing his left jaw. Mrs. Taylor said Menchini then tried to kick her husband when he was on the ground but she pushed him aside.

‘It is fortunate for you that you are not charged with a more serious offence,’ said the Magistrate. ‘There is nothing to justify what you did. It is the sort of thing I dislike from a man of the bulky type, a big, husky fellow. It is difficult to understand the mentality of a man who would do that sort of thing, especially the second blow.’

Medical evidence was given that Taylor would be unable to work for eight or nine weeks.

Read Full Post »

“Escaped from Burwash; Sent To Kingston,” Ottawa Standard. October 8, 1918.

Two Young Men Start Early on Downward Career.

Sentences of two years in Kingston penitentiary were meted out to two young men, Joseph Claro and Norman G. Williams, who pleaded guilty in Tuesday’s police court to escaping from Burwash Industrial Farm. The two seemed thoroughly repentant for their action, but the court thought that their chances for parole would be better at Kingston than at the institution they had just left.

Young in Crime
Norman Williams is but 20 years of age. He was sentenced at Toronto to serve a term for the theft of an automobile. On the 24th of September he escaped from custody and when caught was taken back with just a warning. On October 4th, he escaped again in company of Joseph Claro, alias Joseph Cleroux. This man has a bad record, with a previous term at the penitentiary, time in local jails and a reform school, and a lengthy sentence at Burwash ahead before his elopment. He and Williams escaped from the Industrial Farm, made their way along the rail line, evading the guards searching for them, and absconding with a motor car in Copper Cliff….
[damage in original]
….consecutively with the sentences they were serving.

‘Notwithstanding your youthfulness you are dangerous characters to be at large, and if I send you to Kingston Penitentiary I think they will be able to help you there,’ Magistrate Askwith declared.

Their recapture Tuesday afternoon was effected by Inspector Joliet and his squad after an exciting chase through New Edinburgh. Shots were fired by the detectives.

Read Full Post »

‘The overdose crisis is getting worse’

Overdose Prevention Ottawa had applied to start a mobile overdose prevention site in the city before the recent provincial election.

James Hutt, an organizer with the group, called the decision to halt the approval process “horrifying.”

We are in the middle of a crisis. We know that the overdose crisis is getting worse.- James Hutt , Overdose Prevention Ottawa

“It’s hard to underestimate just how harmful this is,” Hutt said on Sunday.

“The Conservatives are taking away one of the few resources that are keeping people alive in the middle of a public health emergency.”

Overdose Prevention Ottawa ran a pop-up site last year in Lowertown’s Raphael Brunet Park, and Hutt said the group would continue to push the government to reverse its decision.

“We are in the middle of a crisis. We know that the overdose crisis is getting worse,” said Hutt.

‘Going against science’

According to Friday’s letter, Health Minister Christine Elliott will be “reviewing the evidence and speaking to experts to ensure that any continuation of supervised consumption services and overdose prevention sites are going to introduce people into rehabilitation and ensure people struggling with addiction will get the help they need.”

Marilou Gagnon, president of the Harm Reduction Nurses Association, said about three people die a day in Ontario from overdoses.

“I’m extremely concerned … We’re not in a position for any government to actually cease funding for a life-saving service,” said Gagnon, who also helped organize last fall’s pop-up site before moving to British Columbia.

The science is very clear that [overdose prevention sites] do work, and we’ve known this since the  80s .- Marilou   Gagnon

An associate professor of nursing who worked for about a decade in Ottawa, Gagnon said she believed the decision to halt approvals was an ideological one — and the so-called review is the province’s attempt to rationalize it.

“It’s a complete disaster, and I do worry about people on the ground. I worry about our community and people using drugs who [could die] because of that decision,” said Gagnon.

Gagnon said she’s “extremely concerned about a government going against science.”

“The science is very clear that [overdose prevention sites] do work, and we’ve known this since the 80s,” she said. “So I think we’re past the stage of experimenting and testing these services.”

A spokesperson for the health minister told CBC News the review and subsequent recommendations should “happen in short order.”

– Krystalle Ramlakhan, “Decision to halt overdose prevention sites ‘horrifying,’ advocates say.CBC News, August 13, 2018.

Read Full Post »

“An Ottawa Burglar,” Kingston Daily Standard. July 12, 1912. Page 01.

Severin Desjardins Comes to Penitentiary for Five Years.

Ottawa, July 12. – Severin Desjardins, the young man who entered the premises of Mrs. Jos. Belliveau, on Blackburn avenue, in broad daylight assaulted Mrs. Belliveau, and stole a purse containing $25, was sentenced by Deputy Magistrate Askwith to five years in Portsmouth Penitentiary.

This is only one of a list of sentences imposed on Desjardins, all for burglary, house and shop breaking. A little over a year ago, he was sentenced to Central Prison for a term of two years for shop breaking and at the time of his recent arrest was out on parole. He had been out only a month.

Read Full Post »

“Brought to Penitentiary,” Kingston Daily Standard. July 5, 1912. Page 08.

Thomas Moffat, the Gloucester township youth who was sentenced to three years in Portsmouth Penitentiary by Magistrate Smith on four charges of theft and housebreaking, was brought to the penitentiary yesterday by Sheriff G. C. Richardson.

Read Full Post »

“A Horse Thief Gets Two-Year Sentence,” Ottawa Citizen. June 23, 1916. Page 02.

Wm. Presley Pleaded Guilty to the Charge.

Two years in the penitentiary was the sentence imposed by Judge McTavish this morning on William Presley for stealing a horse and rig from William Hastey’s stable, Presley pleaded guilty.

Presley obtained the horse by telling the stable man he had been sent for it. He took it to Hull and sold it for $15.

‘What about the man who bought the horse?’ asked the Judge when the story was told: ‘he might have known there was something wrong.’ The court told Presley he could have been given a sentence of seven years for the crime. A two years’ sentence was a light one, the fact that Presley has a wife and family being taken into account.

“Two Year Sentence For Man Who Stole Horse and Rig,” Ottawa Standard. June 23, 1916. Page 03.

William Presley who several weeks ago stole a horse and rig from Robert Hastey and sold it in Hull for fifteen dollars, was sentenced to two years in the ‘pen’ this morning by Judge McTavish.

Pressley has an extensive criminal record. His honor remarked that he could do as easily sentence Pressley to seven years, but doubted if any great good would accrue to society if such a severe penalty should be given out.

‘It may serve as a warning, morever,’ he stated in giving the two year penalty.

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »